[mythtv-users] GeForce 4 MX 440 - 128MB or 64MB?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 19 02:34:22 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 18, 2003, at 23:53 US/Pacific, Ed wrote:

> For my future Myth system, will I notice the difference between 64MB &
> 128MB?

No. Nothing in mythtv needs that much video memory.

> What about 4x vs. 8x AGP?

No. Even in gaming, there isn't a huge advantage to 8x.

A 4x/64MB is more than enough.

> Just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra bucks

No.

> or if I should get the cheapest possible.

And also no. The cheapest one I ever found was a Jaton, and there was a
horrific moire on screen. Don't go rock-bottom.

> Although I am planning on getting one with a heatsink instead of a fan
> - a silent system would be nice.

I actually use a Chaintech 8x/64MB card right now. It was $40 at a
local shop, and the primary reason I got it was because it had no fan.
I've also used another Chaintech, an MSI and a PNY, all without
problems. One of them was a Ti, and it made absolutely no discernible
difference over a 4x/64MB MX. I might be switching to a Radeon soon
though, at least to try out, due to HDTV modeline madness...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...