[mythtv-users] Symlink question

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 18 12:34:24 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 18, 2003, at 11:02 US/Pacific, Buchanan, Paul wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> I am aware that that creates a character device file, I misspoke.

Okay. I re-read what you wrote, and I think it was just a bit
ambiguous, and I misinterpreted it on this part.

> I have a
> homebrew serial receiver that uses the lirc_serial kernel module.  I
> do not
> have a symlink to the serial port, but a character device file like
> the one
> I suggested creating.  Seems to work for me.

Hm... I have no serial stuff, so I can't provide much input there, but
I do know the character device is what works for the PVR-250's onboard
remote interface. Actually, I just had a thought... I believe there are
serial remote interfaces that don't use the lirc_serial kernel module,
and simply use a symlink to a serial port for /dev/lirc. I believe the
character device is probably standard for any lirc interface that uses
a kernel module. Then again, I may just be talking out of my ass... I
didn't sleep much last night due to a sick child... :)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...