[mythtv-users] optical vs coax (was My Ultimate Mythtv?)

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 18 08:32:41 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 18, 2003, at 02:12 US/Pacific, Per Åge Sørvik wrote:

> Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>
>> I have to admit I started down this road based solely on the comments
>> of an audiophile friend whom I trust (mostly), and he swears coax is
>> better. To me, the difference between the two is indistinguishable.
>> My friend is also the same person that used to do ogg encodings of
>> all his music at something like 512, but stopped and switched to
>> flac, because he was still concerned about loss...
>
> It's a typical audiophile argument, but usually not coming from people
> with an electronics background. Thats why I have to disagree with it
> ;). It's a bit funny really, because I was a little bit into the
> audiophile thing for a while myself, but after some years of education
> within electronics and computer technology, I found most of the claims
> where opposing my education...

Heh. Every day is a new learning experience for me w/MythTV... :)

>>> Well, I'm pretty sure, but I'm to lazy to check it out :)
>> I did a cursory search for info (5 second googler) and didn't find
>> much of anything on the topic.
>
> Guess you'll have to trust me, then :). Singlemode is usually used for
> long distance connections, like 50kms or so, without repeaters.

Oh, I know plenty about fiber optics when it comes to networking...
Duplex multi-mode 62.5/125 with SC on one end and ST on the other to
tie a LightPointe FlightSpectrum 155/2000 FSO link head into a Cisco
Catalyst 2924M-XL switch (100Mbps through thin air spanning over a mile
with almost zero latency is REALLY cool)... But I digress (and I'm
heading WAAAY off-topic)...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE