[mythtv-users] CPU Opinions

Chris Wieringa cwieri39 at calvin.edu
Wed Sep 17 11:06:32 EDT 2003

>>>want 'your' opinion..  what size cpu do you think is needed to record
>>>with a PVR-250 and watch a pre-recorded show at the same time?

>OK, so how about a 750 mhz chip?  I'm getting some poor picture quality and
>I'm wondering if its the CPU..  I'm using a pvr-250 so the recording should
>be fine.. I stress should as I probably have a setting wrong
>somewhere..  but anyone tried it with that slow of a cpu?

I'm probably at the extreme low-end with a K6-3 450 MHz.  I can watch recorded
shows fine, recording at 480x480 with 4.0->6.5 bitrate/peak.  When I try to do
'live' TV it works, however I get occasional stuttering.  Watching a recording
while recording another also gives me slight stutters.  It works for me,
however, I would probably recommend a faster processor - I'd say around the GHz
range.

Chris