[mythtv-users] I hate when this happens

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Wed Sep 17 12:16:14 EDT 2003

> > The point is not about loosing power, but, restarting
> > mythbackend does this.
> > I just illustrated the situation in "real world" setting.
> >
> > I have lost some recodings due to kernel panic and tripping
> > over the power code of the machine while trying to hook
> > up a video cable, so far.
>
> I understand the issue and every response missed the mark.
> Sorry about that. The solution is if a recording starts
> after the 'starttime', the current time should be used for
> the 'record' table starttime and filename. This way after
> a crash and restart the new portion will have a different
> filename and separate entry on your recordings list (separate
> recordedmarkup data etc.). You could then watch both parts,
> however, you may need to run mythcommflag on part 1 before
> seeking and commercial skips would work.

I too have suffered from this every now and again while
starting/restarting mythbackend in an attempt to get my DVB card
working.

Wouldn't it be easier if you just append to .nuv file (someone did
mention this but it fell by the wayside)? I realise that there is the
possibility of some corruption at that point but shouldn't a reasonable
decoder simply try and move on to the next frame.

Thus the impact would be pretty minimal, there would be only one file
and one DB entry. It would just have a small glitch where the restart
happened.

Changing to append from overwrite should be a pretty simple change -
it's just a question of how playback handles it.

CH