[mythtv-users] Myth Program Guide Kills my performance

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 16 14:29:22 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 07:46 US/Pacific, <hubez at rogers.com> wrote:

> First of all, huge compliments to the Myth tv author and team. It is
> by far the BEST PVR software available. My only irk is that Linux
> doesn't make the full use of my Audigy2.

Did you install ALSA? Red Hat's native sound system doesn't do that
card justice.

> Now, my issue. Whenever I use the program guide (the TV listings)
> built into Myth - it is really slow to respond and it eats up my CPU.
> It chops up video, and really bogs down the system. (This is only when
> I'm moving around, or scrolling through the channel listings). Is this
> normal? Or is something wrong?

Not normal.

> I just realized it could be the fact that I'm running at 1280x1024 on
> the desktop - but I'm nowhere near by box, so I can't test it out
> right now.

I have don't have a problem like that on a system hooked to a monitor
running 1600x1200.

> BTW, to all the newbies (I was one starting Friday), my advice to get
> everything working (minus LIRC - I'm still working on that), is to
> follow the official MythTV install guide, and COMPILE EVERYTHING
> YOURSELF. Don't use pre-compiled binarys (aka - RPMS). The problem
> with binaries is that most are usually very specific to a certain
> configuration, and introducing 1 small glitch starts an avalanche
> later on.

No they aren't. You must have done something wrong. I've used the rpms
on quite a few different systems, as have others, without any problems.

> When I started Friday, I used pre-compiled rpms, and by Sunday night -
> it wasn't working, and my compiles were failing left and right.

What were you compiling if you were using rpms? I can install an entire
RHL9/MythTV system from bare metal in under 3 hours via rpms, without
ever having to compile a thing... That includes installing all the
latest errata.

> I start Monday night, yesterday, with a fresh install of RH9, I had it
> up and running THAT NIGHT!!!

Minus lirc... I still think it can be done easier and faster from rpms.

> Oh, and other advice, use the real standard kernel (and re-compile
> using it), the pre-compiled kernels from RH always give me stupid
> little problems here and there when I compile.

Again, I think you're doing something wrong then. And if you're
recompiling kernels and compiling mythtv from source, your install time
is WAAAY longer than w/rpms.

> Yes, it is a little more compilcated and tedious, but as I'm learning
> now (at work), tediousness and care at the beginning pay off in the
> end.

I'm not saying don't use source, I think it is great that you got it
all working from source, but it is far quicker and easier to use rpms
if you do it right. Tediousness and care while using rpms will also pay
off, and save you quite a bit of time.

Basically, my advice is for people to do whatever they're most
comfortable with, source or rpm. I assure you, if you do it correctly,
an rpm-based install is much easier and quicker. Some feedback as to
what went wrong with the rpms for you would be beneficial.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...