[mythtv-users] Myth Program Guide Kills my performance

Tue Sep 16 17:09:04 EDT 2003

Have a quick glance at my message posted about 8 hours ago, titled "Tip: How to make the EPG a bit more snappy" and see if that helps?

Basically, there are lots of queries run when you scroll around (redundantly so in my opinion, however, recoding this is not a terribly quick thing, so try the quick option in the meantime...)

-----Original Message-----
From: hubez at rogers.com [mailto:hubez at rogers.com]
Sent: 16 September 2003 15:46
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv-users] Myth Program Guide Kills my performance

Hey guys and gals,

First of all, huge compliments to the Myth tv author and team. It is by far the BEST PVR software available. My only irk is that Linux doesn't make the full use of my Audigy2.

Now, my issue. Whenever I use the program guide (the TV listings) built into Myth - it is really slow to respond and it eats up my CPU. It chops up video, and really bogs down the system. (This is only when I'm moving around, or scrolling through the channel listings). Is this normal? Or is something wrong?

I just realized it could be the fact that I'm running at 1280x1024 on the desktop - but I'm nowhere near by box, so I can't test it out right now.

Anyone else have this problem?

BTW, to all the newbies (I was one starting Friday), my advice to get everything working (minus LIRC - I'm still working on that), is to follow the official MythTV install guide, and COMPILE EVERYTHING YOURSELF. Don't use pre-compiled binarys (aka - RPMS). The problem with binaries is that most are usually very specific to a certain configuration, and introducing 1 small glitch starts an avalanche later on. When I started Friday, I used pre-compiled rpms, and by Sunday night - it wasn't working, and my compiles were failing left and right. I start Monday night, yesterday, with a fresh install of RH9, I had it up and running THAT NIGHT!!!

Oh, and other advice, use the real standard kernel (and re-compile using it), the pre-compiled kernels from RH always give me stupid little problems here and there when I compile. Yes, it is a little more compilcated and tedious, but as I'm learning now (at work), tediousness and care at the beginning pay off in the end.

Hubert