[mythtv-users] My Ultimate Mythtv?

Brad Sagowitz mythtv at sagz.dynip.com
Tue Sep 16 12:45:49 EDT 2003

I'm trying to put together the best possible MythTV setup using existing hardware and purchasing new stuff.

I want (I think) the following:

Backend: (headless)

AMD 1.4 GHZ proc (1600+) (have already)
512mb PC133 (have already)
ECS k7s5a (have already)
1 20gb drive for operating system (have already)
3 160GB Seagate Drives LVM'd as /var/mythtv for storage (will buy)
Case with 400w PSU (have already) but will upgrade to a Antec Sonata for more drive mounts
3Com 3c905c NIC (have already)
2 PVR-250's (have already one will buy the other)

Front-end #1 (Bedroom)
36" JVC TV (have already)
1.2 GHZ Duron
Athenatech MicroATX desktop case (have already)
ECS k7sem (have already)
256mb PC133 (have already)
20gb IBM drive (have already)
Linksys 10/100 NIC (have already)
GF4 440 MX SE w/tv out (have already)
Gyration Keyboard and Mouse suite (have already) but dog chewed mouse... still works but ugly
SoundBlaster Live! Value (have already)
Hauppauge 401 WinTV (have already)

Front-end #2 (Living Room)
Sanyo PLV-70 Front Projector (on order) accepts SVGA input
AMD 1700+ (will buy)
Cooler Master ATC-610-GX1 micro atx case (will buy)
380Watt Antec True PSU (will buy)
Gigabyte GA-7VM400M motherboard
40gb Maxtor HDD
GF4 440 MX SE or ATI Radeon 9000 (don't need tv out and ATI now has Linux drivers) (will buy)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 or M-Audio Revolution (will buy) I want optical to my Pioneer 43TX Elite Receiver don't know yet how to get this
3Com 3c905c NIC
Hauppauge 401 WinTV (will buy)

Next month I get Satellite (Direct TV's 4 room installation)

I'll have two receivers at the backend feeding the 2 PVR-250's, so here is a question #1:

will MythTV be able to control two seperate receivers using lircd?

Question #2

Can you guys/gals see anything wrong with the hardware I have/will buy?

Question #3

What soundcard is everyone using to get optical out to a receiver?

Comments and criticism welcome!

Thanks!

Brad