[mythtv-users] Market for mythtv boxes?

Ben Nolan ben at ripcord.co.nz
Tue Sep 16 13:36:12 EDT 2003

High end users with low end hardware. ;)

I was thinking of an epia m10000, bttv tuner and a silent 20gb drive
with 256mb ram. Silent powersupply and a custom built enclosure. The
enclosure would be hi fi dimensions and about 3 inches high. Blank front
save a status led. Back face features coax / composite in and composite
/ 6 channel out. All presented as rcas - no keyboard/mouse etc ports.
Two usb ports on the back for future expansion.

The parts list would run to about 250 USD, the case would cost about 30
USD to fabricate. Put in 2 hours of time (at $10/hour) to build and
image the box and you're looking at a cost of $300. Go sell that for
$500 and it comes in at a nice and round $950 NZD.

There currently aren't any pvrs in this country. There will be shortly -
but none that can get channel updates from the net. So there is my
interest in the system. Plus I'd like one for myself. :-)

Set the bios to quick boot. Fire up a system based on debian stable -
but with a custom kernel that displays a boot logo. Fire up x
(recompiled for the epia - and set not to display that flash of "moire")
and start myth. Have everything controlled through a remote. Have a set
up mode that auto-selects channels, the user then just numbers them.

Requires users to have an home network for getting updates / channel
descriptions etc.

Support xmltv (by autodownloading updated xmltv scripts from my
website), program recording, autodiscover and play any media on network
shares. Ability to use network attached storage for recording shows.
Plays mp3s / divx / etc on the tv.

Probably not going to support live tv since I don't know whether a
Nehemiah can handle it.

I'd just have no support lines myself - leave the customers to work
things out themselves. It's not like there is going to be any
bash-hacking required on the box.

Regards,
Ben