[mythtv-users] MythTV to become obsolete?

Michael J. Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Mon Sep 15 13:45:02 EDT 2003

John Wells wrote:
> Great.  I finally get my Myth box working (after dropping $330 for a
> PVR-250 and PVR-350, $120 for a harddrive), and now I read this about the
> FCC and opencable.com:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/15/1053214&mode=thread&tid=129&tid=137&tid=188
>
> Can someone in the know comment on this?  Does it mean my Myth box will be
> completely obsolete 1-3 years from now?!?  Should I return the cards while
> I still can :)?

Ummm, you're joking, of course.  But I'll thrown in some observations.

1) The FCC is involved in deciding standards.  That means nothing will
happen for another 6 years.  See the current HDTV situation for
empirical data.

2) The standard says nothing about PVR capabilities.  It's a standard
for transmission of cable and special ineteractive cable services.
Therefore it really doesn't address MythTV at all.  It's like in my
situation DISH network has their own secure stuff, receiver box
standards and interactive services, but I can still just record off a
video out cable.

--
Michael J. Sherman  |  Software Developer  |  Digital Sandbox, Inc.
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who know binary