[mythtv-users] Autoexpire issues

m0j0.j0j0 m0j0 at foofus.net
Fri Sep 12 18:04:05 EDT 2003

Chris-

> Are you running multiple backends over nfs or anything like that?  I'm
> not sure why sendEvent() isn't waiting like it should.

Nope, nothing fancy. Backend/frontend both reside on the same host and
use a local partition for storage.

> > 2003-09-12 12:36:01 AutoExpiring: That '70s Show Fri Aug 29 18:00:00
> > 2003 1900 MBytes
> > IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write()
> > bavail  = 1266692
> > bsize   = 4096
> > bfree   = 2646976
> > freespace = 4
>
> Probably started deleting the first file somewhere in there causing
> the recorder to have problems trying to write.

Are those IOBOUND messages anything to worry about? It would seem to me
that autoexpire will almost always being doing it's deleting while the
backend is trying to write, since that's when the free-space limit is
exceeded.

> All this happened in 2 seconds.  Quick and dirty fix would be to insert
> a sleep() around line 95 like this:
>

>                 expireList.erase(expireList.end() - 1);
>
>                 sleep(10);
>
>                 if (statfs(recordfileprefix.ascii(), &statbuf) == 0)
>                 {
>

> I don't particularly like that though, I'd like to know why sendEvent()
> isn't waiting.  Worked fine here when I wrote and tested the auto-expire
> code to begin with.

Makes sense. I'll throw the sleep() in there for now, until you have a
chance to implement your other plan.

If there's anything you would like me to try to test why sendEvent()
isn't waiting, let me know. I'm running RH7.3 w/qt-3.1.1, if that
matters. Everything else has been working great for a number of months
now.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Joe