[mythtv-users] OT: FCC adopts 'plug and play' cable for TVs

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 17:43:02 EDT 2003

[snip lots of details]

> OpenCable Security Specification
> http://www.opencable.com/downloads/specs/OC-SP-SEC-I02-030707.pdf
>
> Copy Protection in Digital Cable Systems
> http://www.opencable.com/downloads/BrobergNCTA2001.pdf
>
> POD-Host Interface License Agreement
> http://www.opencable.com/downloads/PHILA_080103.pdf
>
> Getting on my soapbox for a minute, it's a darned shame that things had
> to come to this. From a purely technological perspective, this
> specification could have lead to an industry-leading open-source
> implementation of a Linux-based cable television terminal / PVR. But yet
> again, due to DRM issues, the field will yet again be limited to major
> commercial players.
>
> Chris

Very interesting, and disappointing... however, you never know how things
will play out.  There are certainly a few large players in the commercial
PVR space that would lobby hard to get OpenCable-supported cards for PCs...
among them Tivo, ReplayTV (are they still around?), and most notably and
biggest of all... Microsoft.  Yes, the beast from Redmond will have a vested
interest in PC-cable interoperability as they promote their WinXP
MediaCenter.  Of course, they'll find a way to lock it down, I'm sure, but
remember... it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

-JAC