[mythtv-users] myth box crashed hard...

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 01:03:16 EDT 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 21:28, thor wrote:
> On Thursday 11 September 2003 01:03 pm, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, were you ripping a DVD with MythDVD at the time?
> > I've had this happen twice while mtd was transcoding a DVD rip.  I would
> > set up a DVD to rip overnight, and when I came down in the morning the
> > screen was frozen, the network connection was hung and the keyboard was
> > inoperable w/the NUMLOCK and CAPSLOCK lights blinking (!!??)
>
> 	This sounds more like slightly dodgy hardware get pushed over the
> edge/overheating by the high continous load transcode can put on a system.

I agree, though I regularly rip DVDs with dvd::rip and have never encountered
a problem.  Weird.  I just checked my system log, and the last couple of
things before reboot were a bunch of SCSI errors on (I think) my external
firewire drive (which had absolutely no reason to be accessed, as it holds
only my music library, and I wasn't running mythmusic) and what looks like an
I/O or DMA error on my hard drive.  I'm wondering if my hard drive or IDE
controller is getting flaky.  Unfortunately I can't leave a VT up because I
have a framebuffer console which goes all flaky once I start X.  I'm not
blaming mtd; it just seems to be uncovering some problem with my system.

-JAC