[mythtv-users] CVS

Scott Blomfield ScottB at Cavps.com
Thu Sep 11 14:10:44 EDT 2003

I guess maybe you have not been around here long enough to really
understand. It _was_ written down, and It made absolutely _no_
measurable difference. There was a FAQ entry that said "ATI All In
Wonder will not work for tv capture. Ever. No, not even with the GATOS
driver." and *still* there were people asking "Can I use my AIW tv
tuner?" _all the time_.

And that is just one question. Basically every question that was
answered in the faq received just as much traffic on list when there was
a faq, and so the faq was (rightly) deemed to be useless.

Do you know what most people who actually read the faq wanted out of the
it? I'll tell you. "Tell me what tv tuner to use, what motherboard to
use, what cpu to use, and how much ram to have." I know, because I went
there looking for that information. I know, because when the faq was
there, that was the single most asked question about the it. (Very
closely followed by the AIW).

The biggest problem, though, is that people by and large simply do not
read the faq; and that is what Isaac was trying to point out. You can
put it there. You can link to it from a bazillion different places. You
can refer to it on list (have you _seen_ how many pointers are given out
on list to _very_ specific parts of the mythtv howto?). You can do
almost anything, but the one thing we have learned here is that you
absolutely cannot _make_ people read the faq before they post. And
invariably, they wont... so now you have a faq that you can refer to on
list, and you are no better off than when you just had a howto to refer
to.

I hope this helps you understand the situation a bit better.