[mythtv-users] OT: VGA to Component converter

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Tue Sep 9 15:38:53 EDT 2003

So I came across a VGA to component converter last night and broke down
and bought it. I like it for a few things, but I'm somewhat confused as
to whether it's actually doing what I want. See, when I use my DVD
player or my cable boxes HDTV feed through component the aspect ratio
becomes fixed and I get nice crisp graphics. With this adapter I'm
currently trying 1280X960 or something like that, but it still seems to
act like it's an NTSC signal. I can still use my stretching modes, and
it doesn't seem very crisp. Is this normal behavior? This is the one I'm
using here: http://www.smarthome.com/7743C.html
Hmm, well I answered my own question, but figure I'll post anyway in
case anyone else was considering this thing. Turns out it converts
everything to 480i, then spits it out to one of it's outputs, composite,
component, whatever. So my loss of clarity is from going from 1280x960
down to something x 480i. It's what I feared, but I'm glad I know. Plus
apparently they do havea product that does what I want for the same
price. And the quality of the converter I bought is pretty nice. It was
cake to adjust using the remote, plus it's USB or PS2 powered, which is
nice. And it came with every cable you could possibly need (VGA,
component, composite, SVideo). Anyway, hope this helps someone else.

Jason Schloer