[mythtv-users] Video Out Annoying Flicker

Nick Hall nhall at wisc.edu
Mon Sep 8 23:52:42 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I have been working on getting my MythTV box mostly finished and have
run into a problem. When I was watching recordings or live TV, the picture
would have a slight horizontal flicker when there was a lot of motion (it
might be amplified by bright colors). It is very fast: it seems like there
will be a horizontal line around the middle of the screen where only the
top part of the screen will update for that frame and the rest of the
screen lags behind for a frame before catching up on the next screen. Its
hard to explain but and doesn't seem to happen more than once every few
seconds on average but gets annoying when watching something with a lot of
motion. At first I thought it had to do with MythTV so I played with
Playback and Recording settings, including Interpolate but it didn't help.

Finally I moved on and found that the problem was there, but even worse
when I tried playing a game using snes9x. I also encountered it while
watching a DVD (mplayer). Obviously this implies the problem is not with
MythTV itself but with something else in my video system. I was wondering
if anyone has seen anything like this.

My system is fairly fast (Athlon 2200) and runs on a Chaintech 7NIF2
which has an onboard NVidia GeForce 4 MX with an S-Video out port which
is what I have connected to my TV (NTSC). I'm running the proprietary
NVidia drivers and tried to use nvtv to see if there are any settings
in there that could help but it reports: "CH7009 family not yet supported."

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers at where I could look? I
am at a loss. Thanks for any help,

Nick