[mythtv-users] IR transmitter and receiver recommendation

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Mon Sep 8 13:57:22 EDT 2003

> I have a mythtv box completely setup except for one piece.. the IR
> interface..  I am needing both transmitting and receiving, as I am
> needing to control an AT&T cable box from the mythtv system

You might want to check your cable box for a serial connection. If it is one
of the DCT2000 (or close) models then serial control is probably the way to
go.

You can find a python script that does this here (scroll all the way to the
bottom):

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=78696;search_st
ring=Ian%20serial;guest=1144305&t=search_engine#78696

A straight-through serial cable costs a few dollars and isn't subject to the
same problems some people have with IR transmitters.

--
Anduin Withers