[mythtv-users] Nuvexport svcd process hanging at frame 3 problem

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 11:08:47 EDT 2003

People who are trying to fix this might take a look
back at

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=76398;search_st
ring=transcoder%20ffmpeg%20;guest=1143216&t=search_engine#76398

in which Geoff warns that it can be hard for a program
to read from fifos
without causing a deadlock.  mythtranscode can't make
next frame worth of
audio available until the video gets read.  If the
program that's reading
the fifos insists on reading ahead on either stream,
it will wait forever.
Separate programs, as in Chris's nuvexport script,
should always work.

In the thread noted above, Geoff says that cvs
mencoder 0.91 works (without
patches), using

"mencoder -audiofile <path>/audout -audio-demuxer 20
-rawaudio rate=32000
-rawvideo on:w=640:h=480:fps=29.97 -ovc lavc -oac
mp3lame -o out.avi
<path>/vidout

Make sure to set the width, height, fps, and audio
sample rate equal to
the input stream. "

And that ffmpeg *seems* to work.

It may be worthwhile to try leaving off the --fifosync
option - as long as
both pipes are being read by the same program, I would
think that the amount
of buffering that would have to happen would be
limited to the modest
read-ahead one either stream by the program doing the
reading.  Of course, I
could be wrong ;)

None of this explains why nuvexport doesn't work.

Of Chris Petersen
> Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 10:48 PM
> To: Discussion about mythtv
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Nuvexport svcd process
hanging at
> frame 3 problem
>

> > I tried the following, derived from Geoff's (I
think) note in the

> > archives, around the time he implemented the fifo
sync stuff:

> So basically, it's either a problem with
mythtranscode, or ffmpeg...

> You may just have to wait until Geoff gets back from
vacation