[mythtv-users] LIRC RPM

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Sep 8 00:07:18 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Sep 7, 2003, at 19:42 US/Pacific, Jason White wrote:

> On a somewhat similar note, I've got the ATrpms kernel installed but
> want to use the homebrew serial receiver instead of my Hauppage remote
> (so it will work with the same remote as my TV uses).  I'm assuming
> that
> this requires a lirc compile

Yes.

> which in turn requires a kernel compile so
> that the lirc script can read the config files.

Incorrect. All you need is your kernel config file in
/usr/src/linux-2.4, and you don't have to compile a new kernel just to
get that. Look in /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs to find your kernel config
file.

> I tried installing the source for the ATrpms kernel from the RPM but
> nothing seems to get installed.  There's no error messages or
> anything...it just doesn't seem to do any work and there's no files in
> /usr/src/<axel's kernel..don't have version handy>

That's not where .src.rpm files install things. Look in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES for the source files, and in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS for the spec file.

> Has anyone successfully installed the src for the ATrpms kernel?

Yes.

> Any
> clues on why it's not working for me?

It probably did. You just didn't look in the right place.

> Should I be able to make it work
> without a recompile?

No.

> Right now when I run mode2 it gives me "device not
> found" errors even though all of the files seem to be clearly
> installed.

It is looking for a hauppauge remote interface, so it definitely won't
find your serial one.

You'll have to edit the spec file installed by the lirc .src.rpm and
build against that. I'm going to try doing something along these lines
with my AVerTV Studio remote tomorrow, and the process ought to be
pretty much the same, so I can probably let you know what has to be
done if you don't get it yourself... (should apply for the Leadtek card
also)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE