[mythtv-users] I think my motherboard is broken.Anyrecommendations for a new one exclusively for MythTV use

cmisip cmisip at insightbb.com
Thu Sep 4 23:00:12 EDT 2003

I couldn't get it to work two nights ago.  I tried again last night,
disassembled the whole pc into parts and tried to boot it with minimal
components.  Got it to boot with the mobo, cpu, hard disk, video card.
Then tried to put more hard drives.  It was fine until I put my 160 gig
Maxtor hard drive.  It would turn on for a few seconds and then quit.  I
removed the 160 gig and It boots again.  So I thought maybe the new 160
gig drive is broken (and so all my movies are hosed).  I put all the
other add in cards in and tried to boot the system, and then I
experienced the problem again.  Boots for a few seconds and then shuts
down.  And I tried this on an outlet in another part of the apartment.
I'm now thinking that maybe the problem is with the power supply (the
alternative is more than one component is broken).  Is it possible for a
power supply to conk out like this (diminished output capacity -although
I cannot verify this ). It is an el cheapo 400 watt power supply.  My
system specs are in http://cmisip.home.insightbb.com/index.htm
Everything was working fine until I decided to install a new 160 gig
hard drive (but it worked fine until three nights ago).  I might have
pushed the power supply a little too much.  I admit I kinda overlooked
the importance of this component.   I ordered a Truepower 550 Antec
power supply.  It should arrive in a day or two.  I hope I am right.