[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth R3

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Thu Sep 4 19:40:49 EDT 2003

Martin Moeller wrote:

>Hey.
>
>I know this may not be the focus of KnoppMyth, but how hard would it be
>to have the backend running from the CD against a persistant home
>(MySQL, configfiles...) on a harddisk? I ask for three reasons:

A few people have asked abour this...  The more that ask the more I
think about it, but it probably won't happen until a few releases down
the road.

>1) If I can run it like this, I could use it on my fathers PC.
>Otherwise, not (at least presently).
>
>2) Easy demo-bility in non-destruction fashion.
>
>3) Easy to upgrade (burn new copy of KnoppMyth) for the less technical
>users.

Upgrading from R3 to R4 should be real easy(knock on wood ;-)! On R3:
Setup -> Backup MythTV.  Install R4.
Setup -> Restore MythTV.

>Naturaly, running from the CD would only lend itself to casual use and
>initial impressions but I still think it would be a very nice setup to
>have. The question is how to ensure that all the files that need write
>access are placed on the persistant home drive and whether the
>performance of such a setup is tolerable...

Performance is the very reason I've shyed away from this, but I guess I
won't know until I try.