[mythtv-users] Recommendations for quiet Athlon cooling?

Russ Southern russ.southern at cox.net
Thu Sep 4 18:02:24 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:50:36AM -0700, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 05:13 US/Pacific, John Wells wrote:
>
> >Can anyone recommend a low noise cooling solution for Athlons that
> >actually cools?  I've heard nightmares regarding the Zalman zero-fan
> >solutions, so I'm hestitant to go that route.
> >
> While some people have trashed Zalman stuff, I have to put in a good
> word. I've got a Zalman flower heatsink, with the detached jumbo fan,
> and it works quite well for me (I wouldn't go zero fan either).

I am running two Athlon 2400 systems with Zalman Flower Coolers.  One is the
Cu, and the other Cu-Al.  I went with the Al-Cu for the tower, concerned
about weight issues, and the full-Copper for the HTPC case (since it sits
horizontally, will be moved nearly never, and then in the horizontal
position, the weight was not a concern).

First off, these things are entirely silent!  My refrigerator (in the other
room) drowns out the sound of the PC (right in front of me).  Note: I went
for the full silent treatment with silent PS, fan controllers and
noise-dampening materials inside the case.  Best money I've ever spent...

Anyway, the Cu cools considerably better than the Aluminum hybrid, though
each is better than the stock cooler.  I see on-die CPU temps of 45-47 C
after heavy CPU load (as reported by nforce2 bios) with the Cu, about 52 for
the Al.

http://www.zalmanusa.com/

You won't need a zero-fan solution with aomething like the CNPS6000 since it
is silent already...

Russ