[mythtv-users] Mythtv native lirc support - can't connect to socket

bobnvic at everestkc.net bobnvic at everestkc.net
Thu Sep 4 16:12:46 EDT 2003

I've compiled mythtv with native lirc support, however when I run
mythfrontend I get errors saying that mythtv could not connect to
socket and lirc support had failed.  Lirc works fine with
irxevent, except that I can't get it to start at boot.  I did find
a faq reference to the error at lirg.org, however my /dev/lircd
file was already set to r/w for all users (chmod 666).  mplayer
also gives the same errors.

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 and compiled lirc 0.6.6.  I would be
perfectly happy with irxevent if I could get it to start at boot,
however I have tried placing it in ~/.xinitrc, .kde/Autostart and
rc.local, all without any success.  If I run it manually though,
I have no problem.  In fact, ./kde/Autostart gives me a 'could not
find program xyz' even though it does in fact run program xyz (in
this case a script to start mythfrontend and irxevent).

I would appreciate any ideas that any one may have that could help
me out.

Bob C.