[mythtv-users] nuvexport/transcode how long to convert?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Sep 4 13:04:47 EDT 2003

> Great job on the script (I think... I hope the re-encode will be done by
> the time I get home tonight and I can test it).

thanks.  I've noticed that my original 2400kbps mpeg4 files produce
pretty lousy svcd's, but since I've been able to clear off my drive a
bit, I've bumped my recording quality up to 4500kbps with HQ enabled
(but not that other "uses extra cpu" option), though I may bump it even
higher if I can keep up with vcd encoding for shows I want to keep
around.  Anywat, 4500 produces a pretty nice SVCD.

>   If all goes well I'll be able to clear off
> some space in time for the
> fall season to start.

That's my hope, too...  :)  And to catch up on rerecording better copies
of Stargate for my wife (and me).

Oh, I also forgot that I recently enabled an interlace-detection setting
for mpeg2enc, too.  It slows things down a bit, but I've noticed that
some of my channels have ever-so-slight frame interlacing, which
produces a "jumpy" look movements.  Enabling the detection produces some
pretty clean results.  I'll probably make it a choice at some point, or
will at least (eventually) add a ~/.nuvexportrc type file for storing
default choices.

-Chris