[mythtv-users] nuvexport/transcode how long to convert?

Ramon Redondo malinon at mchsi.com
Thu Sep 4 13:29:24 EDT 2003

I've been excited about Chris's NUVEXPORT script, so yesterday I grabbed
CVS, rebuilt
and started up a conversion to SVCD....

About how long should it take to convert a one hour NUV to an SVCD,
using the defaults
of NUVEXPORT?

The transcoder (if it matters) should be setup for Software MPEG4
480x480, 2200 bitrate, 48000 audio,
MP3 quality 5, and the NUV was originally recorded with those same settings.

The system running the conversion is my combined frontend/backend system
running on
an Athlon 2000+.

The reason that I ask is that it has run for OVER 10 hours now... And I
suspect that is
a bit extreme (although, maybe I'm naive in that regard).  There is
still progress shown on the console,
and my m2v and mp2 files continue to grow...

And while the system is up and running in X, for the majority of this
time the frontend has
been deactivated (so, live TV hasn't been hogging my processing).  No
other processor intensive
tasks should be running.

After it has run for a while, I'm realizing that I did NOT update the
database from what I already
had (stock 0.11), but I didn't think it would matter for this test.

Is there something that I could realisticly do to make this faster, or
is this expected performance?

Ramon Redondo