[mythtv-users] Chipset/motherboard recommendations

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 4 00:48:30 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Sep 3, 2003, at 20:35 US/Pacific, David Engel wrote:

> Recently, I've been having increasing problems with my main Myth box
> due to the infamous IVTV DMA on VIA chipsets issue.  I spent the
> better part of today trying various solutions with only limited
> success.  The hangs occur less frequently now, but they still occur.
>
> At this point, I'm ready to give up and just get a new motherboard.
> Consequently, I'm looking for Athlon XP 1900+ chipset/motherboard
> recommendations from other Myth users with PVR 250/350's.

You might be well served to browse Mark Cooper's PVR Hardware Database:

http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/

Navigate so you're looking at AMD CPUs, then click on the system IDs to
see further details, which include motherboards.

Personally, I've used 2 different boards with MythTV and a PVR-250, and
had no problems with either of them.

They are:

1) MSI KM2M Combo-L (Via KM-266 chipset; this is in my current
production MythTV system)
2) EPoX 8KHA+ (Via KT266A chipset; retired in favor of the micro-ATX
MSI board)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE