[mythtv-users] Myth on a budget..

Jason White axtools at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 14:52:28 EDT 2003

I've actually got a similar system and goal.  I set a $200 limit for
myself and am currently within budget.  I had an old PII-266 in a 440BX
chipset'd motherboard.  The 266 was a little slow and I got a good deal
on a PIII 700 so that's what I'm running now.  I've only got a 20GB HD
but plan to add a larger capacity drive once I have everything else
working.  I've got a G400 that I had laying around and it seems ok but I
can't necessarily recommend it simply because I don't have the TV out
working yet.  Lots of others have had good luck with that board, though,
and you can pick them up pretty cheap on eBay these days.

I went for the PVR-250 over the 350 for no other reason than there just
seemed to be more people using that board and the price was good.  You
can pick them up on amazon.com new for $135 with free shipping (they
claim it's 5-9 day shipping but don't believe them.I received mine in 2
days!).

I'm still building my system so I can't say for sure whether it's a
great combination but I can tell you that you're at least not alone!

Once you get hardware, I HIGHLY recommend going through the setup at
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250  If you're
not a complete linux pro you can still make it through that setup
without too many scratches and bruises.  It's a great starting point if
nothing else.  (Thanks, Jarod!!)

Jason