[mythtv-users] 120GB drives down to $86

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Wed Sep 3 13:36:10 EDT 2003

It's been verified time and again that the 7200.7 *doesn't* support acoustic management, including on this list (I was part of one of the discussions about it a while back).  Being quiet doesn't imply the drive actually has acoustic management available.  Acoustic management by definition means the drive's acoustics can be managed - there's no user-accessible way to do this on the 7200.7 (unless Seagate has released a utility to do it in the past week or so - that's about as new as my info is).  There is acoustic management available on all ATA WD, IBM/Hitachi and Maxtor drives that I know of, as well as on most Seagate drives - but not the 7200.7.  Seagate's AM utility does not work with the 7200.7.

My 80GB Barracuda V by default has quite audible seeks (I have not fiddled with the AM on it, and as it's now in my soon-to-be-sold TiVo I doubt I ever will), and if the 7200.7 is even 1/2 db louder than that, it would be unacceptible to me in a Myth box.  Especially when considering my two Maxtor drives are dead silent even when defragging with their acoustic management set to "quiet".