[mythtv-users] [OT] Pundit IDE trouble

Buchanan, Paul Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com
Wed Sep 3 08:34:56 EDT 2003

Comments inline....

>My apologies for the OT post, but I've wasted a fair amount of time on
>this, and can't find a decent Pundit support site.

>I'm trying to configure my new Pundit MythTV box and have run into a
>major snag.....

>As pundit users know, the box comes with only one IDE channel.  The IDE
>cable and drive config is such that IF using cable select, the DVD
>drive would be master and the HDD would be slave.  Cable select doesn't
>work for me, so i've tried drive select and set the DVD drive as master
>and the HDD as slave, with zero success.  I've tried HDD as master and
>DVD as slave with zero success.  In both case, the pundit shows the
>correct master device, but won't recognize the slave device.  I've seen
>success reports like
>http://www.mattmarsh.net/computing/pundit/hwinstall.shtml, and am
>wondering if i have a BIOS issue, a cable issue, or incompatible drives.

Do you have any other devices that you can try?  When I installed the OS on
my Pundit, I had a Yamaha CD-R drive as slave and my 200Gb WD as master.
This was using the included 80 pin cable.  I have since removed the optical
drive as I don't currently need one, and it may limit the ide channel to the
slower ATA-66 speed of the optical drive (there is some debate on this
point).

>I'm using an NEC DVD rom circa 2000, a maxtor manufactured but GENERIC
>80 gig drive, and the IDE cable that came with the pundit.  The 80 gig
>drive is ATA-133.  Do I need an 80 pin cable?

See above... My pundit had an 80-pin cable included.  You don't _need_ a
80-pin cable, but to run above ATA-66 (or is it 33?) you do.

>Any feedback or help is appreciated.

>Thx, Geo

Paul