[mythtv-users] MythTV / HDTV: DVI vs S-Video Interface Suggestions

Mike Hicks hick0088 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Oct 31 16:36:32 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 14:54, Jim Paris wrote:
> > The TV has tons of inputs, including DVI and Component Video (YPrPb),
> > along with the standard composite and S-Video inputs. My question is
> > what's the best route to take for maximum picture quality/resolution:
> >   - TV-Out via PVR-350
> >     From what I understand, this is the BEST S-Video option out
> >     there using the alpha ivtv drivers.
>
> You lose the ability to play videos other than MPEG2, but yes, the
> picture looks good and the hardware gets the frame timings right (no
> more jitter).

I haven't played with the actual hardware, but I know from what I've
read on the ivtv mailing list that the card is capable of more than just
playing back MPEG2 video.  I don't think the developers have gotten
around to adding standard YUV playback abilities yet, but they're
working on that.  However, the PVR-350 can be used just as a framebuffer
device, so it's possible to have full software playback of anything you
want.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Never let school get in the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   way of your education.