[mythtv-users] MythTV / HDTV: DVI vs S-Video Interface Suggestions

Jeff Noxon jeff-mythtv at planetfall.com
Fri Oct 31 15:47:00 EST 2003

I've been playing with it less than a week, and you're right, Myth is
amazing.

You'll get better color fidelity and resolution using DVI, followed by
component, followed by S-video from the PVR350.  But overall the picture
will look best coming from the PVR350's S-Video out.

The reason is that the PVR350 can output interlaced video.  If you use
component or DVI, regardless of whether it's progressive or interlaced on
the output, it will have to be _deinterlaced_ by mythtv first.  And you
gain some peculiar artifacts when that happens.  MythTV's deinterlacing
is relatively simple, and if you can bypass it you'll be better off.
I wish I'd spent the extra $50 and got the 350 instead of the 250.

I have the Audio Authority VGA to Component adapter, which I have used
with my old Windows-based HTPC & HDTV.  It does a great job (much
cheaper than the one at digital connection too!) but until MythTV
has deinterlacing capabilities on par with dscaler, save your money.
Since dscaler is open source (GPL), I suspect it will happen sooner or
later -- maybe you can help.

Most modern HDTV's have pretty good deinterlacing built in, with inverse
telecine, bob/weave, etc.  So: use S-Video and take advantage of that.

Also, who knows if the DVI on your TV will even work with the DVI output
from a PC...

Regards,

Jeff