[mythtv-users] Up and running, but have some questions/issues

Kirby Vandivort kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 31 11:39:07 EST 2003

> > The commercial skip seemed to be working ok at first, then it started
> > to skip too early. It would leave the show 10 or 15 sec early and
> > start again near the end of the commercial, with some of the
> > commercial still left. Strict Commercial Detection is checked. Maybe
> > it shouldn't be?
>
> Well, this is really addressing the symptom more than the problem, but I
> always run with 'Auto Detect Commercials' ON, and 'Auto Skip
> Commercials' turned OFF.  This way the commercials get detected, but it
> only skips when I hit the 'z' key, so I'm guaranteed that it won't skip
> any of part of my show.  Just a suggestion.

You know what would be cool with this?  If there was a midlevel setting.
Currently we have  auto skip on, and auto skip off.  It would be neat to
have a middle level that doesn't skip the commercial automatically, but
tells the user that they could.  I would envision the following..

When a user hits a commercial start, one of those slowly fading boxes pops
up and says:

Commercial Start detected.  Commercial end is 143 seconds from now.

Then, we just hit Z if it seems reasonable and if it says something like
772 seconds from now, we know that we'd be better off hitting 30-second
skip a few times.  That would rock.  If anyone else is interested in
putting this in, great.  Otherwise, I'll add it to my list of TODOs
(that seems to keep getting bigger)

--

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical and
Senior Research Programmer            Computational Biophysics