[mythtv-users] re: MPEG2->MPEG4 transcoding under .12

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Thu Oct 30 11:14:00 EST 2003

On Thursday 30 October 2003 10:18 am, Ben Curtis wrote:
> 1) libavcodec is in the myth .12 package, but doesn't seem to get
> installed anywhere.

Why would that get installed anywhere?

> 2) mencoder doesn't seem to be present either.  I have man pages, but no
> program.  However, I don't beleive it's used (see #3).
>
> 3) I notice this in the code: "NuppelVideoPlayer *nvp = new
> NuppelVideoPlayer(db, pginfo);" yet the "nuppeldecoder.*" files are
> nowhere to be found post install, only in the install directory. The nvp
> object "appears" to be doing the encoding, not sure if its crashing b/c it
> can't find the library.  I can't seem to find where it would print out the
> buffer error though unless it was actually starting the encoder.

Why would it install source files once they're compiled?

> 4) Status get's set to 20 in the DB at start.  Then by the time it fails
> (a few seconds later) it is 53.

All that says is that it started, then failed.

> I did this on a fresh redhat9 install, never having .11 installed.  I
> think the fact that I never had .11 installed is becoming a problem in
> transcoding perioud.  It's possible that this functionality was never
> tested on a non-.11 system prior to release.  (Especially considering the
> bin files were being looked for in the wrong place).

Since the recording profile stuff didn't _exist_ in 0.11, it never got tested
on a 0.11 system.

What bin files are being looked for in the wrong place?  mythbackend launches
'mythtranscode' without any explicit path at all whenever it starts a
transcode.  It's up to the path setup on your system to find the actual
binary.

> Can someone give me a description of what mythtranscode actually
> does/calls?  I'd be happy to continue debugging this but I'm at a
> standstill until I know what it does/calls.

mythtranscode doesn't call any external program.  It's completely self
contained.

All you need to do is go setup the Transcoders -> MPEG2 settings, since you're
coming from MPEG2.  Not the Transcoders -> RTjpeg/MPEG4 settings.

Isaac