[mythtv-users] PVR-250 or PVR-350?

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 10:21:39 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 00:03, Philippe Daoust wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm still new at this so bear with me for a minute...  :-)

I can tell, you shoud format your emails to no more than about 70
chars/line..

> I am planning on building my first MythTV box pretty soon based on the Pundit and Jarod's how-to (great work by the way!).  I know pretty much everything I want to get but I'm not really sure whether I should get the PVR-250 or the PVR-350...  From searching in this forum and on the web I realize that support for the PVR-350 is still preliminary (for the TV out/decoding anyway).
>
> My question to you guys is :
>
> Can I use the PVR-350 in the same way the PVR-250 is used, i.e. by using the built-on video out of the Pundit?  Will this be as stable as a setup with the PVR-250 or it requires a completely different set of drivers?  When the PVR-350 support matures I would then reconfigure my box to use the TV out on the PVR-350.  Or maybe I'm out to lunch and this is already pretty stable?
>
> Reason I ask is that there is only a $70 (CDN) or so dollar difference between the two cards so if the 350 is the way to go I might as well get it know.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> -Phil
> ----
I have both, a 250 and a 350.  The pvr-350 works exactly like a 250 if
you don't use tv-out.  The ivtv modules for recording work very well, I
rarely have any problems and when I do they are mainly that I'm
recording two shows and watching one all at the same time while
compiling a new kernel.  Then (and only rarely) I have a few skips when
writing to disk.  (humm, maybe I should run "nice make bzImage" and see
what happens)

IMHO get the 350.  tv-out is great and it is getting better every day
and like you said, there price diff is not that big.

-jose-