[mythtv-users] Socket Problems with MythTV

Foss.KS at forces.gc.ca Foss.KS at forces.gc.ca
Thu Oct 30 08:24:03 EST 2003

Goodday,
	I have recently added a WinTV GO card to my machine after about
three years using my ATI All-in-Wonder Rage 128 Pro.  I have used the Gatos
drivers and apps written for the ATI cards but have been tired of the
limitations of size and compression.  However, it worked!

	In order to get the bttv-based components working cleanly, I setup a
dual boot with Mandrake 9.0 and Redhat 9.0.  The Mdk partition has the Gatos
stuff which works and the Redhat is where I am trying to get the bttv
working.  So far I can view TV on multiple applications and I am trying to
use MythTV as a PVR.  I used the ATRPMs for mythtv and all installed without
any failed dependencies.  I am followed the numerous guides people have done
and seem to have a good initial setup.  I have even got the xmltv setup done
and have filled the database with mythfilldatabase (took an extremely long
time over dialup!).

	Unfortunately, when I attempt to run mythbackend I get a qsocket
error that it cannot find the port 6543.  Without mythbackend I cannot do
anything else.  Now I have just found how to check if the port is open using
netstat or nmap, but how would I start the port and link it to the
mythbackend application if it is not started?  Should this not be
started/initialized when mythtvsetup is run?

	Thanks in advance.

Kevin Foss
Ottawa, Canada