[mythtv-users] conflict resolution

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Wed Oct 29 15:58:06 EST 2003

Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>This works fine for a conflict of only 2 shows, but I wish a conflict
>>was defined to include _all_ the shows that overlap, regardless of what
>>tuner they got assigned to, if there aren't enough tuners to record them
>>all.
>

> <snip>
>
>>I think a possible way to handle this problem would be to assign
>>conflicted shows to tuner 1, then if one of them is deactivated on tuner...
>

> An even better way to do this would be to just use the rankings code
> in Myth to assign higher rankings to the shows you want most.  Then Myth
> will assign those higher ranked shows to tuners first and your lowest
> ranked show of the 3 would be left without a tuner and go unrecorded.

Except that this has nothing to do with conflict resolution. If the
shows are different ranks, they won't show up as in conflict. If it was
possible to set rankings to avoid conflicts, we wouldn't even need the
"fix scheduled conflicts" screen. ;)

Regardless, I don't use rankings because they don't always work for
conflict resolution and often screw up the tuner assignments.

Here's an example:

Schedule three half hour shows that are all on at 5:30pm.

Go to the conflict resolution screen, the first two are yellow and in
conflict on tuner 1, the third one is white and on tuner 2.

Note the number 2 show, the second yellow one, this is the one we choose
to deactivate. Exit the conflict screen and go to the program rankings
screen. Find the number 2 show in the list and lower it's ranking.

Exit the program rankings screen and go back to the conflict screen. Now
the number 2 show (with the lowest ranking of the three) is now on tuner
2 and white. The number 3 show has been moved to tuner 1 and is in
conflict with show 1.

So, by lowering the rank of the show you _don't_ want to record, you in
fact caused it to be given a different tuner and put the other 2 shows
in conflict.

Of course, if the show I want to deactivate is in yellow because it's on
a conflicted tuner, I can diasble it from the conflict screen just fine.
  The example also shows how you can have a conflicted show on it's own
tuner that you can't disable from the conflict screen. It also shows how
a lower-ranked show can push a higher-ranked show off a tuner and into
conflict with another show. Worse yet, if I delete and recreate the same
schedules, results can be unpredictably different once I have changed
the rankings, as if something didn't get cleared out of the database.

Perhaps this problem is unique to my system, I don't know. Everything
else is working great, I figured the rankings and multiple tuner logic
was just still a bit raw. ;)

Also, the program rankings screen doesn't always have all the scheduled
episodes listed, so sometimes it's not even possible to change the
ranking for that episode from there. In my example above, only 2 of the
3 conflicted episodes appeared on the rankings screen. The missing one
in this case was an episode of "The Simpsons." Two other scheduled
episodes were in the list, but not the one in conflict.

Since all three shows were not in the list, I didn't have the option
from the rankings screen to raise the rankings of the 2 shows I wanted
instead of lowering the one I didn't.

Still, I think the conflict resolution screen is the place to resolve
conflicts, not the ranking screen. And no, you cannot eliminate all
conflicts by setting rankings, even if you _do_ want to spend time each
day manually adjusting the rankings of every episode of every show.