[mythtv-users] DVB

Marian Aldenhoevel marian at mba-software.de
Tue Oct 28 12:43:26 EST 2003

Hi,

(I have tried to post this to mythtv-dev, but the list-manager thinks
 I'm not subscribed to it and held it. That does not keep it from
 sending me mail from that list, so if someone here think's this should
 really go there and forwards it I will be able to read any replies.
 Thank you for following all safety precautions.)

I am currently evaluating "digital video recorders on linux systems" for an
upcoming project of mine (I want to build one ;-)). And have found MythTV
to at the very least be the best looking of the lot[1].

There is one thing I could not glean from the website and I do not yet have
the hardware to try it out:

I understand DVB-input is relatively new to the project. How well does it
handle it currently? Especially if faced with two cards. Can it
simultaneously record from one while watching a different channel? Will
it - for extra points - even record two or more programmes from the second
card at the same time if they share the same transponder?

If the answer is no: How hard would it be to implement such a "maximum
coverage"-feature? I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty on code but
maybe someone familiar with the architecture could give a short assessment
on the feasability.

Ciao, MM

[1] I have looked into Freevo, VDR and the Multimediabox from the
NMM-Project.
    The latter uses a _very_ promising architecture that would make it
really
    simple to do what I am planning, but it is as of yet still missing some
    other features I would love to have.