[mythtv-users] Re: # apt-get install ivtv gives segmentation faults and failed reboot

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 27 21:57:45 EST 2003

I'm going to break my own personal rules and top-post...

I've figured out at least part of the reason for the segfaults, but I'm
still working on the fix. Basically, the rpms aren't creating the
correct character device entries in /dev anymore. I'm on bare-metal
re-install #2 today, trying to get the exact fix that'll work for all
of y'all.

I've talked with Axel a bit about the changes, and basically, they are
necessary to support versions of Red Hat/Fedora going forward, as there
are some fairly big changes coming down the turnpike (like the 2.6
kernel). Apparently, the 1.0-4363 driver is broken on many Fedora
systems (though I ran it fine myself, using a kludge to get around a
compiler warning), thus the reason for the newer nvidia driver rpm.
Most reports I've seen indicate some of the TV-Out functionality (most
notably overscan) is broken in the newer ones.

That said, I believe there IS a problem with the current rpms, because
they *should* be creating the character devices (/dev/nvidia[0-7] and
/dev/nvidiactl). I'll have an update later tonight, hopefully with an
interim fix (using the rpms; you can always go with nVidia's own shell
script).

I'll see what it takes to specifically grab the 1.0-4363 rpms instead
of the newer ones also, for those who need overscan (and want to use
"experimental A/V sync", which relies on the 4363 driver, IIRC).

--Jarod

On Sunday, Oct 26, 2003, at 23:27 US/Pacific, yok mo wrote:

>> You should check why those segfaults happen. Haven't
>> seen any such reports. Seems like a broken kde lib.
>
> I just did a fresh RH9 install, with NVidia 440MX graphics card and
> PVR-250 capture card. I followed Jarod's excellent tutorial (thank you
> very much!!!), including using apt and kernel update (thank you
> Axel!!!).
>
> KDE was working fine (no seg faults when I tried to launch a program
> such as kate). Once I did a:
> # apt-get install nvidia-graphics-kmdl-$KERNEL
> # apt-get install nvidia-graphics-glx
>
> I immediately had seg faults when I tried kate again. Also, when I
> re-started X, I then got the "Could not start kdeinit". I could start
> Gnome and failsafe sessions, although kate seg faulted there as well.
> Once I rpm -e these two modules, KDE and kate worked great again.
> During all these tests, I did not touch my XF86Config file.  (as a
> side note, if I were to update my XF86Config file to the documented
> changes, I could not get X to start. I had the same exact error
> messages that Romel had listed below).
>
> I did notice (in my install as well as this thread) that the nvidia
> driver version 1.0_4496 was being used. In Jarod's document, it states
> to use version 1.0-4363 - Could this be one of the reasons why? It
> appears that the apt-get is downloading the newer nvidia driver.
> Perhaps I was suppose to specify the older version when I ran it?
>
> I went ahead and downloaded source from NVidia, and installed
> v1.0-4363. Once I did this, I could then update my XF86Config file,
> and everything is gravy. I'm off and running again, KDE is working
> fine and I'm now capturing videos.
>
> I'm no Linux guy, so I could be out in left field. But I thought I'd
> pass on my observations in hopes that they help / make sense to
> someone =)
>
> Thanks everyone for the great work, this is an awesome project!!!
> -Curtis
>

>> I'm not familiar enough with Linux to check segfaults.
>> One work around is to launch the app prior to loading
>> nvidia-graphics-glx.
>>
>>> 8a. "Parse error on line 9 of Section ServerLayout
>>
>> in
>>
>>> file /etc/X11/XF86config.
>>

>>> Add
>>> ModulePath