[mythtv-users] PVR x50 and (de)interlacing

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Sun Oct 26 23:32:31 EST 2003

I watch a lot of sport (motor racing, cricket and particularly rugby at
the moment).

I'm using a DVB card (i.e. MPEG-2 also but I'm currently only viewing SD
pictures so it's essentially 576p in my case) and a Geforce4 MX440
(don't think it's an SE) with nVidia 4363 drivers. Going from a Geforce2
MX + BT868 to a Geforce4 MX440 with built in TV decoder, definitely made
the picture a bit sharper.

I use the S-Video output to my largish 29" TV. My only problem so far is
that things seem a little blurry on things like the score in the corner
of the screen. This is a brand new TV that I'm still working with to get
the right X settings though.

Apart from that the quality is quite good on normal pictures, where the
bluriness probably helps a little to cover up MPEG2 artifacts.

Definitely need de-interlacing turned on which is how it should be I
think since the S-Video input is interlaced. If I ever get a
VGA-Component converter, apparently I will have to turn this
deinterlacing off. This doesn't really affect panning though in the way
you describe. Without deinterlacing on an interlaced screen you get a
weird tearing affect where every second line doesn't line up with every
other line.

How do things look on a standard PC monitor (i.e. progressive scan in TV
talk)?

To answer your final question, I'm only sort of happy. I'm not happy
with the blurriness but I also think that my new TV is too good in some
respects and that's showing up the inferior DVB signal and the MPEG
artifacts. Perhaps I should try and go for HD instead now that PCHDTV
support is being worked on.

CH