[mythtv-users] Redhat 9/LIRC/Hauppauge PVR 250 issues (of course)

Augustin Chan auchan at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 18:10:05 EST 2003

I'm having the darndest time trying to get this silly remote working.  Anyway,
I do the standard steps in the guide to try to get the lirc binaries:

# apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$KERNEL
# apt-get install lirc

The first returns with an unable to find this package error.  I've read a very
recent post on how to correct the issue by uncommenting the line that
references at-bleeding for the apt-get program to look there as well, and now
that part works.

However, whenever I try to to send a signal from my remote to the IR receiver
on the dongle attached to my card, I get nothing output to stdout.  I do notice
that when I manually compile and install lirc (I tried both 0.6.6 and 0.7.0)
and specify Hauppauge as my remote, a character mode device file is created for
/dev/lirc.  This results in a a device file that I can't connect to at all when
running irw (I get an unable to connect to socket).  In my logs I see that the
lircd is running under a (Hauppauge) configuration.

However, using the apt-get mechanism, a serial mode device file is created for
/dev/lirc.  The irw program launches fine, but nothing is output to screen
whenever I press the remote keys.  How does the apt-get mechanism know how to
configure the device files?  Does it assume you have a certain brand of remote?
 In my logs I see that lircd is running under a (pctv) configuration.  Has
anyone run into this issue before?

Aug

=====
Augustin Chan