[mythtv-users] Error when compiling ITVTV driver

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Oct 26 01:33:05 EST 2003

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 22:40 US/Pacific, Romel Llarena wrote:

> > Are you sure you have the hauppauge firmware in place?
>
> Pulled the latest files from hauppauge. The make
> command keeps failing though.

Okay.

> $ cd ~/ivtv/ivtv/driver
> $ make
> Makefile:8: /usr/src/linux/.config: No such file or
> directory
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/usr/src/linux/.config'.  Stop.

Ah, one more thing I think you may have to do for ivtv:

	# ln -s linux-2.4 /usr/src/linux

Red Hat uses linux-2.4 by default instead of just linux. That command
will make a link of "linux" pointing to "linux-2.4" which is another
link pointing to your actual kernel source.

> > It isn't the .src.rpm you need, it is the
> > kernel-source-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at.i386.rpm file that
> > you need to install.
>
> Wow, I didn't catch that one after 20x installation
> attempts. What was I installing then???

I forget what the big difference is between the two. It used to be that
you did need to install the .src.rpm file, but that changed w/Red Hat
some time back. I think basically, the .src.rpm file is what you would
install to build your own kernel rpm (with rpmbuild --rebuild
kernel-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at.src.rpm or rpmbuild -ba kernel.spec), but it
doesn't install the entire source tree into /usr/src/linux-2.4/, kernel
configs, etc., which is what the kernel-source package now does. I
don't recall the last time I actually had to install the .src.rpm file,
so my memory is kinda hazy...

> > Oh, and a new guide addressing some of these issues is
> > now posted.
>
> I plan on doing hopefully one more fresh install once
> I  tryout the kernel fix, following the new guide. I
> want to keep it as clean as possible.

You might give the rpms another go also. Some stuff added to the guide
should clear up some of the problems people have been having.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...