[mythtv-users] PVR Box Parts, pending approval

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sat Oct 25 19:19:58 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 18:02, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> I can't really say for certain. You've already got a TV-Out capable
> card selected (I presume the Gainward GF4MX has TV-Out, anyhow), and a
> processor with more than enough juice to decode files, so you don't
> really need the decoder or TV-Out. Someone with more GF4MX vs. PVR-350
> TV-Out experience would have to comment on relative picture quality of
> the two. I believe once you have the 350 TV-Out set up, you can
> completely do away with the other card, but you'll still need something
> other than the 350 for the initial install (unless you're REALLY good
> and crafty w/driver disks at install time).

Well, there is a way to tell anaconda to use the serial port for console
during the RH install... don't remember offhand though.

> > -Should I consider gentoo instead of rh9?
>
> Only if you really like to make your life (and your PVR) way more
> complicated than necessary. Outside of personal preference, I don't
> really see any reason to go with Gentoo over RHL9, but one could argue
> that I'm heavily biased toward Red Hat, for numerous reasons. I'm
> probably starting a religious war with that statement... ;p

Having said all of that, I'm currently install Windows 2000 (blech!) on
a spare drive in my myth box[1] so that I can run PowerStrip to try to
get a good modeline for my VGA->Component box.  The things I do for good
picture quality, I tell you...

	-Ian

[1] - If anyone out there is considering doing this, MAKE SURE you
DISCONNECT ALL OTHER HARD DISKS from the system.  Windows like to write
headers (signatures) to all connected hard drives.  And that can make
things really screwy.  Ask anyone who's ever upgraded their Tivo...
--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com