[mythtv-users] Fresh install from scratch, mysql "NoDatabase Selected" error

scuterky scuterky at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 17:56:35 EDT 2003

I would add a slight correction. The command,
    % mysql -u root mysql

logs into the MySQL 'console' and selects the _database_ mysql. From there, the user table of the mysql database (mysql.user) is modified to set a root password as shown below.

Once the root password is set, root would log in (again to the mysql database) with something like,
    % mysql -p -u root mysql
This forces mysql to prompt for a password.

>From here, in order to change to the myth database,
    mysql> use mythconverg

One could also log directly into the myth database with the following,
    % mysql -p -u root mythconverg

A helpful network debugging trick is to log in as the mythtv user,
    % mysql -p -u mythtv mythconverg

And if the backend is split from the frontend, try
    % mysql -p -u mythtv -h <host> mythconverg

And for kicks, to list all the databases within MySQL*,
    mysql> show databases

and to list all tables within one of those databases,
    mysql> use [database name]
    mysql> show tables

* where the database name corresponds with the directory name as defined by the "datadir" parameter in the MySQL startup script.

This wasn't the problem, I know, but hope that helps someone.

cheers,
scuterky