[mythtv-users] Lost audio on Pundit SPDIF audio out.

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 25 00:02:14 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 24, 2003, at 22:36 US/Pacific, Gary Raposo wrote:

> I'm about ready to give up here so I thought I'd shoot my situation
> out over the list to see if anyone else has experienced this.  Had
> MythTV v.011 up and running and all was great!  Then all of a
> sudden... no sound!  The system was "in production" so it's not like I
> was tinkering with it at the time so this was a little bit of a shock.

Ah, but you were indeed tinkering. You just installed a new version of
ALSA.

> I've got the SPDIF out from the front of the Pundit connected to my
> home theatre receiver.  The receiver has been detecting the PCM stereo
> stream up until now and has had no problems decoding it.  Now it's as
> if the receiver does not see the optical input (autodetect does not
> work and forcing the receiver to optical does not work either).
>
> I can see the red light coming from the SPDIF out port so I know that
> something is happening on the Pundit side.  I've tested the receiver
> input port and cable using a known good cable and my DVD player.  I
> went through all the permutations and isolated it down to the Pundit.
> Now... I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or a software
> problem.

Software problem.

> I checked alsamixer and the settings were unchanged (unmuted master,
> master m, and PCM).  The interesting thing is that if I plug in some
> headphones or computer speakers I can hear the audio so it really
> seems like it's not a hardware problem.

They're changed. But only very slightly. I had something similar happen
when I bumped up from 0.9.7 with my Audigy. Everything looked the same
in the settings, but the digital output was disabled. Look in alsamixer
for a digital output setting toward the far right. I betcha it is set
to mute/off.

> My question is... does ALSA have some control over directing audio out
> over the SPDIF interface or is the SPDIF just a slave managed bu the
> hardware that mirrors the audio to all available outbound ports on the
> box?

ALSA controls whether the SPDIF interface is active or not.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've looked through the list
> archived and googled around but I can't find anyone that's using the
> optical out on the Pundit that's having the same problem.  I'd like to
> stay with the optical audio since my next mini-project will be to
> install a DVD player so having the digital 5.1 sound would be nice.
> Maybe I have a bad SPDIF out port on the Pundit?  Who knows?
> Hopefully, it's just a software setting that I have to change.

I have a feeling you just need to turn the digital output back on, and
all should be well. I believe this is a recent change in ALSA, because
previous ALSA updates didn't do quite the same for me (it often liked
to re-mute everything, rather than just disabled digital out).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...