[mythtv-users] Re: atrpms-kickstart: dist-upgrade !!! (was: mythtv-suite package)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 23 11:04:53 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:08:08AM -0700, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003, at 23:32 US/Pacific, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >I think I am going to scrap atrpms-kickstart for a ximian like startup
> >shell script.
>
> I like it if it makes it harder for people to not follow instructions.
> Are you going to build a ximian-esque GUI and everything? ;p

I was thinking of something along the
  wget -q -O - http://go.ximian.com|sh
install method of ximian (replace sh with less to see the script)

It would have to

o Check the current distribution.
o Check buggy rpms on it.
o Download and replace the rpm rpms.
o Download and install atrpms, apt, libapt-pkg, yum, synaptic.
o Run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

This script could then have variants that add
o Run apt-get install mythtv-suite.
to the end of it, or for PVR-xxx people even add kernel modules etc.

Then we could start a benchmark contest about who installs myth on a
OS-less PC the fastest! (OK, Mythknoppix wins ;)

Any takers/testers?
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de