[mythtv-users] Re:Problem with PVR-250 - zero byte mpg files

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 22 00:17:02 EDT 2003

On Monday, Jan 18, 2038, at 19:14 US/Pacific, mail bag wrote:

>>> I've walked thru the entire install process listed on the page
>>> mentioned above. (I had to update my /etc/apt/sources.list file to
>>> append 'freshrpms' to the 'rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386
>>> os updates' line)
>>
>> Hm... Not sure why that wasn't already there... It *should* already be
>> there... How exactly did you go about installing apt?
>
> apt was already installed on the machine. I ran rpm -Uvh and pulled
> the apt kickstart from:
> http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/atrpms-kickstart/
>
> It updated my /etc/apt/sources.list file with the apt repository for
> fu-berlin.de etc... so I know that it took.

Generally, it will NOT update /etc/apt/sources.list if it already
exists. It'll add a /etc/apt/sources.list.rpmnew file.

> But I had to manually add the freshrpms. I've actuall blew away the
> box and am in the process of starting from scratch. As such I've just
> pulled down the apt-kickstart agian from:
>
>   http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/atrpms-kickstart \
>   /atrpms-kickstart-13-1.rh9.at.i386.rpm
>
> and the top section of the sources.list is:
>
>   # Red Hat Linux 9
>   #rpm     file:/apt redhat/9/en/i386 os updates doc
>   #rpm-src file:/apt redhat/9/en/i386 os updates doc
>   rpm     http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 os updates
>   #rpm-src http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 os updates
>
> There seems to be more in that source file than I remember last time,
> so I'm not sure if it has been modified. I'm trying a different
> approch this go round, so I haven't hit an error yet with 'freshrpms'
> not being there (assuming that was the download problem I was having).

Is there an entry section specifically for FreshRPMs? I think there
should be...

>> Double-check that you've got ivtv-fw-enc.bin and ivtv-fw-dec.bin in
>> /lib/modules also...
>
> Unfortunately I formatted the box before I had a chance to check on
> those files.

D'oh.

> I do know that I didn't explicitly install the drivers, so if they
> weren't distributed by the ivtv rpm (and it sounds like because of
> licensing they may not have been), then that was probably at least
> part of the problem.

The ivtv rpms still have the firmware in them at the moment, so those
files should have been installed. (Axel is busy trying to track down
who to talk to about what he can and can't do w/the firmware in an rpm).

> I know this board is focused on MythTV and not ivtv, a distinction I
> was unclear on earlier, but I'll post whatever I find out back here
> for the sake of completeness, and just in case someone else ends up
> here instead of there.

Please do. There's quite a bit of overlap between the two lists...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...