[mythtv-users] Profile group confusion

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Tue Oct 21 21:15:04 EDT 2003

Are the recording profile names intended to be hardcoded or is that
just a temporary thing until someone makes it better?  I guess I'm a
little confused about how they're supposed to be customized.  I have a
PVR-350 and ideally, I'd like to eg. be able to choose from the
following profiles when selecting something to record:

2-hour DVD		  (record mpeg2 4500bps, no transcoding)
4-hour DVD / 30-min SVCD  (record mpeg2 2200bps, no transcoding)
Quick 1-hour SVCD	  (record mpeg2 1100bps, no transcoding)
1-hour SVCD		  (record mpeg2 4500bps, transcode to mpeg2 1100bps)
MPEG4 HQ		  (record mpeg2 4500bps, transcode to mpeg4 2200bps)
MPEG4 LQ		  (record mpeg2 4500bps, transcode to mpeg4 1100bps)

etc etc.  Is that possible, or can you not specify different
recording/transcoding profiles, or..?  What I was initially expecting
is that something like "record mpeg2 4500bps" or "transcode to mpeg4
2200bps" would be a "profile", whereas grouping them together like
I've done above to create "2-hour DVD" would be a "profile group".
I presume that's wrong, but is what I want possible?

-jim