[mythtv-users] Live TV audio sounds horrible, but the line-insounds ok?

QwQw qwqw at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 21 03:05:28 EDT 2003

> Is this something different from the FAQ issue? When you say live audio
> sounds like it's in a tunnel it makes me think you are experiencing the
> FAQ problem of unmuted line-in audio. Do you hear two sets of audio, one
> live from the capture card via line-in and the other slightly delayed
> from the buffered video player?
>
> You need to never listen to live audio from the capture card via
> line-in. For my Hauppauge card with btaudio I simply didn't need
> line-in, but if your card can only feed audio in via your sound card by
> line-in, then make sure it's muted for playback so it's used to record
> only. Live TV isn't really live, it's just played from a file as it's
> being captured, slightly delayed, so you don't want to be hearing the
> live audio via line-in while you are watching it.
>
> If this is not the FAQ issue and you are experiencing something else
> entirely, I apologize for misunderstanding.

It's not the FAQ issue, I'll try to clarify. The sound in mythtv just sounds
bad. It's not an echo like if there were two feeds going. There just doesn't
seem to be much range and quality to the audio. It's as if it were an mp3
encoded with a really low bit rate, if I were to try and describe it as
something you may have heard. If I just unmute the line-in and hear the
direct audio it sounds good though. So I know it's not the audio feed, just
something going on when it is recorded.

> I know you don't want to hear this, but I have a leadtek and I have the
> same problem, never have been able to completely fix it. playing with
> all of the settings in alsamixer I was able to reduce it to a slightly
> unacceptable level. But since I have put in a pvr250 so it records most
> of the important stuff.  Also the tunnel twang doesn't seem to be as bad
> since I moved from a soundblaster live to the onboard sound of my
> nforce2 chipset.

That's what I was afraid of hearing :( It sounds good when it is not muted
though, it can't be the leadtek...? The leadtek seems to be sending a good
signal.