[mythtv-users] Problem with PVR-250 - zero byte mpg files

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 20 13:00:41 EDT 2003

On Monday, Jan 18, 2038, at 19:14 US/Pacific, mail bag wrote:

> I think I"m close to getting an install up and running based of the
> great information on this page
> (http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250), but I"m
> not quite there yet. I"m using a WindTV PVR-250 on RH9.
>
> I've walked thru the entire install process listed on the page
> mentioned above. (I had to update my /etc/apt/sources.list file to
> append 'freshrpms' to the 'rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386
> os updates' line)

Hm... Not sure why that wasn't already there... It *should* already be
there... How exactly did you go about installing apt?

> I issue:
>
>   # depmod -ae
>
> which returns:
>   depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in \
>   /lib/modules/2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at/drivers/media/video/ivtv-fb.o
>   depmod:         pte_offset
>
> There was a theard in the archive that suggests that this may be
> related to the output of a 350 card and might not be a problem.

Correct. Don't worry about that one.

> Next:
>
>   # cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
>
> Noting show up on the ssh terminal, but tty1 outputs (Note long about
> error 6 was where I hit 'Ctrl-c'):
>
>   ivtv: init error 1. Code -16
>   ivtv: init error 2. Code -16
>   <clip>
>   ivtv: init error 18. Code -16
>
>   ivtv: init error 20. Code -16
>   ivtv: startcap error 2. Code -16
>   ivtv: init error 19. Code -16
>
>   ivtv: startcap error 1. Code -16
>   ivtv: stopcap error 1. Code -16
>   ivtv: stopcap error 2. Code -16
>   ivtv: EOS interrupt not received! stopping anyway.
>
> Looking in '/tmp' shows:
>   -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 19 14:53
> test_capture.mpg

Well, everything up to the cat /dev/video0 looks normal... Have you
tried a different tuner type, per Joachim's suggestion?

> For fun, I tried:
>   # /sbin/rmmod ivtv
>
> Returns nothing on the remote ssh terminal, but tty1 gets:
>   ivtv: stop_fw error 2. Code -16
>   ivtv: stop_fw error 3. Code -16
>   ivtv: stop_fw error 4. Code -16
>   ivtv: You've not seen the last of willy!

Double-check that you've got ivtv-fw-enc.bin and ivtv-fw-dec.bin in
/lib/modules also... Other than Joachim's suggestion, I haven't a clue
what's going on...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE