[mythtv-users] CLEXF40030

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 19 13:10:21 EDT 2003

rwk at americom.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Regarding the PVR-250 MPEG decoder and mythtv...
>
> I noticed that Release 1.2 of the source code for the VIA CLE266 mpeg
> library was released sometime in September.  It says:
>
>     "Release 1.2 available. Now up to date with CLEXF40030 driver.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this means that it will now work with mythtv?
> (I understood from previous discussions that it was not compatible with
> XFree86 drivers and kernel drivers.)
>
> Also, if native mpeg files captured with the PVR-250 mpeg encoder are
> transcoded, I assume this means they cannot be played back with the
> PVR-250 MPEG decoder.  Is this correct?

The PVR-250 doesn't have an MPEG decoder.  (Well, the Rev1 cards & the
Freestyle do, but they don't have TV-out and in any case aren't
supported by the ivtv driver yet).  The PVR-350 has a decoder with
TV-out, and AFAIK can only decode MPEG-1/2.  As to whether you can use
the PVR-350 TV-out to view software-decoded video (i.e., Myth RTjpeg or
MPEG-4)... I don't know.  My guess is not yet, but maybe eventually once
ivtv matures.

-JAC